Give Thanks for Great Teeth!
The holidays are almost upon us. Take a moment to plan your Thanksgiving menu now, and vow to make it a healthier celebration this year.
Both your waistline and your teeth will thank you!
Remember that sugary and starchy foods add to the sticky plaque in your mouth that causes cavities. You can help keep your teeth healthy by improving your diet.
Here are some ideas for a healthier Thanksgiving menu:
- Substitute bread and rolls made with white flower with wheat or grain alternatives. Avoiding starchy foods is good for your diet and your teeth.
- Love sweet potatoes? Eat them without the marshmallows and you’ll have less sugar in your meal. Here’s a healthy sweet potato recipe from the Food Network’s Alton Brown.
- Vegetables are a great addition to every meal. Here’s a healthy green bean recipe without the usual addition of canned soup.
- Is stuffing your Thanksgiving staple? Try this gluten-free stuffing recipe from the Food Network. It’s tasty and has no sugar.
- If you like to end your meal with a classic apple pie, try this Better Apple Pie recipe. It uses about half the crust of the traditional favorite, yet still gives you the crunch and flavorful apple taste of the original.
Try to avoid serving sugary sodas and juices with your Thanksgiving dinner. And even though you want to fall asleep in an easy chair after your big meal, don’t forget to brush and floss your teeth first! Learn more about food friends and foes for your teeth.
Sacramento Dentist Open Saturdays for Kids & Parents
We are currently scheduling “Beat the Tooth Fairy” appointments, and have both midweek and Saturday dental appointments available. Call us today at (916) 488-1933.
Connect With Us!